Internists or Doctors of Internal Medicine are physicians who specialise in the diagnosis and medical treatment of adults. Internists require a minimum of seven years of medical school and postgraduate training.
Specialties of an Internist include:
- allergy and immunology
- cardiology (heart)
- endocrinology (hormone disorders)
- hematology (blood disorders)
- infectious diseases
- gastroenterology (diseases of the gut)
- nephrology (kidney diseases)
- oncology (cancer)
- pulmonology (lung disorders)
- rheumatology (arthritis and musculoskeletal disorders)
Internist jobs include diagnostics, providing treatment for diseases and treatment for injuries of the internal organs. Internists provide treatment for a range of problems associated with the internal organs, such as the stomach, kidneys, liver, and digestive tract.
Internists treat patients through medication or hospitalisation and are looked upon as primary care specialists.
Internist jobs may include:
- explaining procedures and discuss test results with patients
- treat health problems, such as infections, influenza and pneumonia
- monitor patients' conditions and re-evaluate treatments as required
- prescribe medication, therapy, and other specialised medical care
- refer a patient to medical specialists when necessary
- advise surgeons of a patient's status and history
- work with nurses, students, specialists, therapists, and other medical staff
ISMYCV can help you create an outstanding Internist cover letter and resume.